Resturant Style Chicken Karahi | چکن کڑاہی | Easy & Yummy Recipe in Urdu
Chicken Karahi is a popular Pakistani and North Indian dish known for its rich and flavorful taste. Here’s a restaurant-style Chicken Karahi recipe for you to try at home:
- 1 kg chicken, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a large karahi or deep skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Then, add sliced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they soften and the oil starts to separate.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and cook the spices for a minute.
- Add the chicken pieces to the masala mixture. Increase the heat to medium-high and sauté the chicken until it changes color and is sealed on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the karahi/skillet with a lid, and let the chicken cook in its juices for about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked, add slit green chilies and garam masala. Mix well and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is completely done.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan bread, roti, or steamed rice.
Note: Adjust the spice levels according to your preference. You can also add a splash of water during cooking if the chicken tends to stick to the pan. Traditionally, a karahi (wok-like utensil) is used to cook this dish, but you can use a deep skillet if you don’t have one.
Restaurant style chicken karahi is a delicious dish that originated in the northern regions of India. It is made with chicken pieces cooked in a spicy and tangy sauce, usually with tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, and fenugreek leaves. The sauce is thickened with cream or yogurt and garnished with coriander leaves. It is a popular street food that can be enjoyed with naan bread or rice.
There are many variations of chicken karahi recipes, depending on the region and personal preference. Some recipes use more or less spices, some add more or less water, some use different types of tomatoes or cream. The key is to balance the flavors and textures of the ingredients and cook them well.
If you want to try making restaurant style chicken karahi at home, here are some recipes that you can follow:
- Karahi chicken – indian restaurant style – glebe kitchen: This recipe uses a spice mix of coriander, cumin, kashmiri chili powder, kasoor methi (dried fenugreek leaves), garam masala, turmeric powder, salt, and red chili powder. It also adds butter and cream to the sauce for extra richness.
- CHICKEN KARAHI RECIPE RESTAURANT STYLE | CHICKEN KARAHI | SPICE EATS: This recipe uses ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder, salt, oil for frying the chicken pieces. It also adds sliced onions and tomatoes to the sauce along with ginger julienned.
- Restaurant Style Kadai Chicken Recipe (Chicken Karahi Curry) – WhiskAffair: This recipe uses ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri red chili powder, salt, lime juice for marinating the chicken pieces. It also adds sliced onions and tomatoes to the sauce along with butter.
- Chicken Karahi Recipe (Authentic Lahori Street Style): This recipe uses whole garam masala for frying the chicken pieces. It also adds yogurt to the sauce along with fresh cream.
- Chicken White Karahi – Hinz Cooking: This recipe uses white pepper instead of black pepper powder for seasoning the chicken pieces. It also adds white yogurt to the sauce along with fresh cream.